Dungeon floor/item/creature concept

Design backers can post their ideas and concepts here for suggestions and work-shopping. Unbacked ideas should go in the Spare Concepts section below.
Forum rules
This subforum is for posting backed concepts only. If you have a concept that you are not backing, consider posting it in the Spare Concepts section =). Designs can be as open-ended or specific as you like; development will take place over the course of the thread, so do not worry about the initial particulars. Only design backers should be starting threads here, but everyone is invited to participate in the discussion!

Dungeon floor/item/creature concept

Postby Nagoragama » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:11 pm

I'm not sure if you're looking for backer design concepts yet or if everyone is just too timid to start posting, so I thought I'd start with mine (well, one of them, hehe).

One idea I had for a floor of the dungeon is an Underground Jungle (better name to be determined) lit by glowing mushrooms and populated by underground trees and deadly carnivorous plants. I thought there could also be ancient ruins of some kind of civilization choked by the vines and plants.

The creatures on this floor would be the aforementioned deadly carnivorous plants, something like venus fly-traps, except much larger and more aggressive.

The item associated with this floor would be what I've named the Monkey Bomb. Composed of the toxic and latently magical plants and fruits growing in the dungeon, this explosive compound would temporarily transform all the heroes in the jungle into monkeys who can do nothing but frolic amongst the trees for the duration of the effect.

What do you think of this preliminary idea?
Nagoragama

Re: Dungeon floor/item/creature concept

Postby Kenku » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:56 pm

Sounds preety awesome ^^ Also sounds like a good floor to have a Nature Capacity Bonus.
Kenku

Postby Jake » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:12 pm

I am absolutely ready to see ideas, so thanks for getting the ball rolling! I want everyone to feel they can jump in and post their reward ideas or offer each other feedback!

I love the idea, and we can really use the change in scenery; for the record, I am fine with floors that don't traditionally make sense underground--this is a magical fantasy dungeon!

Are these plants stationary "traps" or actual minions? A combination? I think we could have some fun with champion versions of plant creatures.

The item sounds great; if the floor also has a couple different minions/traps, then I think this item should probably be something these minions will occasionally drop, and not a directly purchasable item, because I don't want to give the floor too many direct functions. We can make it a growth item, so you'll match it with growth tiles to collect it. I agree with Kenku that it could be a good choice for a growth cap bonus.

Carnivorous Copse? Ravenous Ravine? Blood-thirsty Thicket? Grizzly Grove?
Jake
Site Admin

Postby Nagoragama » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:02 pm

Carnivorous Copse is a great name!

And yeah, I'd thought it'd be a largely Growth resource based floor, with maybe a small amount of Ruin (to build the ruins in the jungle) or Flesh (to feed your carnivorous plants).
Nagoragama

Postby Vryl » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:20 am

I like the Copse idea too. As Jake said, the carnivorous plants could be a trap... but plant-based minions could also be interesting. If you really want the venus flytrap type plants then they'd probably be stationary, unless you want them hopping about in little pots - maybe you could have a more mobile plant that will set those as traps?

If you wanted the copse to be more unique, you could have the mantrap plants all the time and then have heroes slain within the copse (whether by those traps or some other minions fighting there) get back up as shambling vine-controlled minions. On the one hand, they're free... on the other, once three are raised you don't get more until at least one is killed, and then you have to wait for another hero to die in the copse. No tossing resources at the problem and hoping it will go away.
Vryl

Postby ThirdAnguis » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:30 am

Jake wrote:Carnivorous Copse? Ravenous Ravine? Blood-thirsty Thicket? Grizzly Grove?

Pet peeve/vocabulary correction. "Grizzly" means gray-haired -- it's what gives grizzly bears their name, they have gray interspersed in their otherwise brown coats. The word you're looking for is "grisly."
ThirdAnguis

Postby Jake » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:46 am

ThirdAnguis wrote:Pet peeve/vocabulary correction. "Grizzly" means gray-haired -- it's what gives grizzly bears their name, they have gray interspersed in their otherwise brown coats. The word you're looking for is "grisly."

How bizarre; that spelling looks completely alien to me, as though I have never seen such a word. I was aware of the definition of "grizzly," but I 've always assumed that the connotation of the word had been colloquially extended over time (as frequently happens in English) from "gray-haired," to "raw" or "savage," to "grotesque," just based on the nature of the things that it's typically used to describe (mostly bears and wild men). I guess not, though, so thanks for the heads up before it gets used elsewhere in the game!

Vryl wrote:I like the Copse idea too. As Jake said, the carnivorous plants could be a trap... but plant-based minions could also be interesting. If you really want the venus flytrap type plants then they'd probably be stationary, unless you want them hopping about in little pots - maybe you could have a more mobile plant that will set those as traps?

If you wanted the copse to be more unique, you could have the mantrap plants all the time and then have heroes slain within the copse (whether by those traps or some other minions fighting there) get back up as shambling vine-controlled minions. On the one hand, they're free... on the other, once three are raised you don't get more until at least one is killed, and then you have to wait for another hero to die in the copse. No tossing resources at the problem and hoping it will go away.

Hopping around in pots would be fine with me, but I also like the idea of raising heroes up with vines, although that may be more challenging to animate =P.
Jake
Site Admin

Postby Vryl » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:47 pm

Jake wrote:Hopping around in pots would be fine with me, but I also like the idea of raising heroes up with vines, although that may be more challenging to animate =P.

What can I say, my mind works in mysterious ways. Also, I can just see a skeleton reaching out to grab a hero with its vines, like some sort of nightmare squid. I bet Johnny Depp would scream. :P
Vryl

Return to Backed Concepts