Herald Reward Banners!

Discussion and feedback for in-progress backer designs; I'll start threads here as I begin work on backed concepts.
Forum rules
This subforum functions as a showcase and suggestion space for in-progress concepts. I will start threads here as I begin work on a design, and everyone is welcome to post suggestions and other feedback =).

Herald Reward Banners!

Postby Jake » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:39 am

I've got the first batch of four Herald-tier reward Banners right here! I built a little sample room to display them in, below, but note that while there are three distinct pieces to each set (tall & wide, tall & thin, and short), the display is a little misleading because both tall banners are stacked up against each other to see how they look together, and the same display is reversed on the other side, so you are seeing a total of five banners in each image. I am considering a fourth banner piece for each set, as well.

The (slightly paraphrased) themes were "an extensive tree with roots," "a cool symbol I can send you," "black & white hypnotic vortex with eye in the middle," and "majestic potato." Again, keep in mind that the large tall segment is a separate piece from the thinner bits.

This thread is for comments! These are just drafts, and I am taking suggestions from all over, but the final product will require the original backers' blessings.

Also, while I will use the Herald backer color suggestions as the default, these are all color-swappable!

I have three more backer banners to get to, and I will probably finish them up this weekend. This is a backer reward that I may offer separately (sans Curator reward contents) later on, so players can request banners for, say $10-15 without buying the full $20 Herald package. Thoughts?
Jake
Site Admin

Re: Herald Reward Banners!

Postby ThirdAnguis » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:41 am

I really like them! Especially that tree with roots design, it gives me a Yggdrasil vibe which I really like. Still undecided about the potato, but I think that's intentional on that backer's part.
ThirdAnguis

Postby Hayden » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:33 am

Agreed with ThirdAnguis, that tree design is really cool! I'm the potato design guy, I did a quick drawing idea and I was wondering what people thought:
Hayden

Postby Kenku » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:08 am

Thoes look great, and hooray for Color-Swapness!

Hayden: I like the idea of it!
Kenku

Postby Jake » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:04 am

I have altered the course of history to fix your initial image link! And I have one of my own:
Any other suggestions? Is the white and gray what you're looking for as the default?
Jake
Site Admin

Postby Hayden » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:31 am

That looks great! I personally like the white/dark grey and yellow/brown combos you have there the best, but if you end up lots of themes using those colors and want variety I'm sure it will look good with anything.
Hayden

Postby Sol_Protege » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:24 pm

These look awesome! I didn't think the banners would be this detailed (based on the demo) can't wait to see the rest.

On a side note, for color swapping banners (and customizing other parts of the game) would all these settings be located in the meddle (options) tab on the title screen or elsewhere?
Sol_Protege

Postby Kenku » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:48 pm

In my opinion the Yellow/Brown is the better of. It increases the look for the potatoes holyness!
Kenku

Postby Jake » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:47 pm

I made a pretty big oversight when I posted this; I forgot to request suggestions for banner effects! I would like all banners to offer some minor, passive bonus to the player (possibly with a minor passive penalty, if the bonus seems a little overpowered). This should be pretty tiny, like a +.25x multiplier bonus when matching a specific resource, or a +5 starting cap on one resource, or maybe all undead units are 25% cheaper or something. I can't believe I neglected to mention this the first time; I was wondering why I hadn't heard any suggestions on that yet =P. Fortunately, I don't need to hurry with this right now, as the custom banners are not actually on the initial alpha launch feature list (although I may leave them in, on random selection mode, just to jazz up appearances).

Sol_Protege wrote:On a side note, for color swapping banners (and customizing other parts of the game) would all these settings be located in the meddle (options) tab on the title screen or elsewhere?

Yes, I believe I will be putting the customization stuff (which right now includes banners and Tyrant appearance) in the Meddle menu. I'll allow you to go in and change stuff mid-game, but it won't take effect until the next round anyway, so it feels like it probably belongs in that sort of overarching menu, rather than in a session-oriented one somewhere. I don't want to require players to select a Tyrant and theme each and every game, so what I would like to do is allow you to create some favorites in the menu, enable the ones you really like, and have the game randomly select them each game. That way, if you just want one thing, you can turn that on, but if you like variety, you can enable as much of that as you want as well (or just turn on total randomization. Most of this content will need to be unlocked through rituals.
Jake
Site Admin

Postby Jake » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:45 pm

Here are my first drafts for the remaining three Herald backer rewards:
Themes were "silver winged sword on green background," "crow," and "Purple with Gray skulls and Bones."

I'll be reaching out to these backers for their input momentarily, but I again welcome anyone in the community to put forward their thoughts =).

Also, suggestions for each banner's buff would be awesome. The skull backer is looking for an undead buff of sorts, but the other two (and the four up top) are still up in the air, bonus-wise!
Jake
Site Admin

Next

Return to Work in Progress