Running Demo on Mac

Running Demo on Mac

Postby CherryScary » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:28 pm

Is it possible? I've been trying to get the demo to run on my Mac (I'm on the OSX10.10 beta version, which may be half my problem)

I've gotten java installed, but still no luck on getting the demo to run.

Advice?
CherryScary

Re: Running Demo on Mac

Postby Jake » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:53 pm

I don't have any OSX devices to test on; it should be compatible, but no one has reported success on it (people are far less likely to report success than failure--although a couple have confirmed Linux works). If it is crashing on launch (you see a window pop up and then close), I am going to guess that you are experiencing some shader incompatibilities. GLSL specifications and implementation can vary significantly by video card, and I've been slowly adjusting them as I receive error reports.

It would be great to hear from people who have gotten it running on OSX; perhaps I will request confirmations with the next Kickstarter Update. In the meantime, you can attempt to launch the game from a Java console to see if it spits out any errors for me to work with; I wish I could walk you through this, but I do not know how it is set up on OSX =/.

At the latest, I expect to hammer out the rest of these sort of issues in early alpha; sorry for the inconvenience!
Jake
Site Admin

Postby CPlusPlus » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:54 pm

Hi,

I have the same Problem. Window appearing but nothing more.

3,6 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
ATI Radeon HD 5670 512 MB
OS X 10.9.4

Hope that helps you. Same machine booting Windows -> runs perfectly.
CPlusPlus

Postby CherryScary » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:05 pm

I actually can't even get it to launch. I'll see if I can dig up some error codes (i get the Check Console for details error, and I'm not tech-savy enough to understand the console) I've tried making sure Java is updated, but no luck there.

I'll probably end up stealing the boyfriend's PC to play!
CherryScary

Postby Jake » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:41 pm

Thanks for the additional info, CPlusPlus. I come from a DirectX/HLSL background, so I am still learning how fickle different platforms can be with GLSL. I spent a few hours today revising my shaders (there were a couple of newer things that the OUYA didn't appreciate), and I think the result is much more robust: you can try it here. I don't have an OSX machine to test it on, but my OUYA is pleased again, so I think it's worth a shot; let me know one way or the other, please =). Thank you!
Jake
Site Admin

Postby CPlusPlus » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:16 am

Yes it runs! On a Mac with an ATI card and with a NVIDIA card :) Thank you
CPlusPlus

Postby Jake » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:12 am

Thank you for confirming =)!
Jake
Site Admin

Return to Questions