Room type

Room type

Postby argh226 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:02 pm

To continue with another idea (space bar was the first), what you guys think into putting room on the left side, those you can click on, in a different background color for those that are linked together?
Let say you need lupine lair prior to have the spider so you could see that, for example, the lupine lair would have a red background color and the spider room too. This way you see its a kind of "upgrade" from the lupine room.

Same could be said about skeletons, lets say in white? and so on.

I got the werewolf room, but I don't know from which one it come from, lupine I suppose...

What you guys think about this one?
M.J.
argh226

Re: Room type

Postby Kenku » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:13 pm

Sounds like a worthwhite idea, although if that was the case, I would think it would make sense that the link colors would intertwine and get more complicated the futher down the chain you are(due to chance of more branch offs).

I do also think that may be partially in the cards as is through stuff like theme connections(Zombies->Bone Hoard, Cellar building into underworld stuff) and possibly background, but it does sound like a good idea.
Kenku

Postby Jake » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:31 pm

Kenku is right that this could get really complicated for later floors, because a lot of floors have multiple predecessors (or even alternative predecessors, as spiders can be gotten either by building wolves or by building dark elves). However, maybe we can come up with a way to indicate which floors have opened the option in the session you are currently playing.

Perhaps each floor could have a unique symbol, and we can display prerequisite floors in the background of each floor's button? It might get troublesome designing a lot of tiny, unique symbols, though. We could try colors, but there is a lot of overlap, and I don't know if the meaning of the colors would be clear enough to many players.

This is another thing that will at the very least be documented by the codex. You'll be able to see floor dependencies, restrictions, production, etc. on the floor's codex page, and I'll add a link to the codex on the side of the purchase button, for easy access.
Jake
Site Admin

Postby Vryl » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:49 pm

I'd personally leave it as just the codex entry - then let people access the codex between games and possibly in the middle of a game as a pause feature. That way they can see not only what floors/rooms were required to build this room right here, but also what they can build up to (that they know of) using it. Lots of symbols or a kaleidoscope of colors could easily cause more confusion than they clear up in the middle of a round.
Vryl

Postby argh226 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:56 pm

I agree with all of you.
Of course after 100 hours of play you would know them by heart, by reviewing the codex all the time. Symbol could be better for colorblind people :P Which I didn't think about at that time.

Symbol would simply serve as a reminder or help along the game since, to me, its rather fast paced.

Whatever people likes will be fine for me anyway! :D
M.J.
argh226

Postby ThirdAnguis » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:35 pm

I think something in the codex that you can access outside of an active game would work. Like, select a room and have it show you what direct rooms you need to unlock it. Maybe make it so that you can build a dungeon "blueprint" (either from the top down or the bottom up) to get an idea of what you need to build to get to your dream rooms.
ThirdAnguis

Postby Jake » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:29 pm

ThirdAnguis wrote:I think something in the codex that you can access outside of an active game would work. Like, select a room and have it show you what direct rooms you need to unlock it. Maybe make it so that you can build a dungeon "blueprint" (either from the top down or the bottom up) to get an idea of what you need to build to get to your dream rooms.

The in-game codex to be a little more robust than what I've shown so far; I don't know that this full-on "blueprint" mode (which sounds cool!) would be practical mid-game, but I could have floor codex entries highlight what you will need to get them in the current session (or highlight a floor conflict in red), or some of the floors they'll unlock if you buy them next. As you suggest, I will have a main menu option to view your codex; maybe I will eventually add some more advanced features like this "blueprint" mechanic =).
Jake
Site Admin

Return to Suggestions