Item Idea - Scrambler tile

Have a spare idea for others to consider backing (or that you just think I should add)? This is the place for un-backed concepts.
Forum rules
I've created this subforum to help distinguish between concepts that have been backed and ones which are just open suggestions. This section is for unbacked concepts; backed concepts will receive more priority (after all, backers are paying me to work on them), but I still want to encourage people to post other ideas here!

If you have backed your idea (or plan to do so), it should be posted over here, instead =). If you like what you see here, consider backing it with an appropriate pledge!

Item Idea - Scrambler tile

Postby Sol_Protege » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:01 pm

This is a simple concept I had for an item in the game, that's also a staple in most tile-matching puzzle games. The Scrambler item.

Symbol ideas:
Red and Blue intertwined directional arrows
Maybe a broken wand?

Board Effect:
Randomized all tiles (colors) on board

Floor Effect:
Randomizes the health (%) of all units (minion and heroes) on the floor.

Really useful item in puzzle games, helps keep the game fresh and the pace flowing when you get stuck and can't seem to find any matches. You can use it on the board to reset it, or maybe on a floor to change the tide of the losing battle. In both circumstances the item could make the game more difficult if you still can't find any matches even after using it on the board, or the heroes end up gaining the health of powerful champion-level minions so make sure you use it wisely. What do you guys think?
Sol_Protege

Re: Item Idea - Scrambler tile

Postby Jake » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:06 pm

[I've created a new section for ideas like this which are not actually being backed, and then moved this into it. The original intent of the Concepts section was for backer designs, but I don't want to kill other ideas just because they aren't paid for =). I've added some rules to help make this clear.]

You're right that this power is a solid staple of matching games, so we should probably find a place for something similar here. I am not sure about the health scrambling; it would be cool to give the item some alternative power like that, but I think mixing up the health levels may be a bit unclear, and maybe not quite consistent with its effect on the puzzle. Perhaps it could teleport characters into a different arrangement, so it could scramble the turn order of an encounter? Or maybe it can teleport all of the characters in a room up or down one floor? These options could also make things better or worse.
Jake
Site Admin

Re: Item Idea - Scrambler tile

Postby Sol_Protege » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:32 pm

:shock: Whoops! I forgot to mention I wasn't a Artificer level pledge and that this is a completely open concept anyone can use/modify to their benefit, I'm just giving ideas out lol.

That said I didn't really flesh out the dungeon effect, I was trying to think of a way a player would want to use it on the floors (instead of exclusively for the board) without messing up the balance. I really like the idea of teleporting the units up or down a level, maybe it could be a trap tile?
Sol_Protege

Return to Spare Concepts