Resource Floor: Humongous Hoard

Have a spare idea for others to consider backing (or that you just think I should add)? This is the place for un-backed concepts.
Forum rules
I've created this subforum to help distinguish between concepts that have been backed and ones which are just open suggestions. This section is for unbacked concepts; backed concepts will receive more priority (after all, backers are paying me to work on them), but I still want to encourage people to post other ideas here!

If you have backed your idea (or plan to do so), it should be posted over here, instead =). If you like what you see here, consider backing it with an appropriate pledge!

Resource Floor: Humongous Hoard

Postby ThirdAnguis » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:05 pm

A big ol chamber full of gold and treasure, generates loot items for the Tyrant's hoard. The typical monster to guard such a room would be a single, very large dragon, but since dragons are supposed to be something from the kobold tree and this is a very generic sort of room I don't know if that's necessarily the best option. Still, something to think about!
ThirdAnguis

Re: Resource Floor: Humongous Hoard

Postby Sol_Protege » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:23 pm

Immediately thought of Smaug lol. I'm not entirely sure but I think we're allowed to alter existing monster archetypes as long as the end product is different from the original creature. Ex: Bats -> Fire Bats. You could have a gilded dragon with special traits to differentiate it from a regular dragon (higher defense, immune to strike damage?) or to make it simpler, choose a different creature altogether i.e a troll or maybe a giant bird (maybe protecting a nest of some sort with a large stash of gold in the background?)
Sol_Protege

Postby Vryl » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:30 pm

Or put a few mimics in there. They don't patrol, but they still attack heroes the same way minions do once someone enters the room.
Vryl

Postby Jake » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:09 pm

Maybe a dragon would be attracted to this floor, if you acquire one elsewhere. I want to give Kobolds a more direct path toward dragons, but I'm not sure dragons'll be exclusive to Kobolds; I have a different kind of mechanic in mind that I would like to try out with dragons.

I think a mimic is a good option, but I've also been toying with the idea of floors that offer incentives to the heroes. Some "heroes" are more motivated by greed (be it for treasure, gear, artifacts, or food), and some rooms could allow players to leave a chest of resources lying around. When a greedy character finds a chest of the appropriate goods, they may decide they're better off alive and rich than dead, and they'll turn around and leave your dungeon with their new-found treasure. If your minions kill them before they make it out, maybe you'll recoup the cost of the chest. Only heroes that are interested would open the chest, so you aren't just throwing away your money.

Maybe the mimic (whether it comes from this floor or another) will venture to floors that can offer chests but aren't currently doing so, and they'll disguise themselves as that kind of chest.

We do need a floor that increases loot capacity, so this will be great for that, but we might not want to go with "humongous hoard" simply because the matching area is frequently referred to as the Tyrants' hoard; I would like to change up the vocabulary a bit. We could go with a "voluminous" or "vast" "vault" or "colossal cache" or "spacious safe" or something else?
Jake
Site Admin

Postby Sol_Protege » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:03 pm

So it works like a bribe for selfish heroes? That's really interesting, you could then also have the option to increase the amount of gold you place in the chest to attract even more greedy heroes (and minions). Could you also be able to put other types of resources like meat, to attract weary and wounded heroes? Or maybe mana to entice vulnerable spell casters away from the main group?

For the name I found some similar words: "Commodious", "Capacious", "Copious", "Plenteous", "Luxuriant", "Regal"

How about "Copious Cavern" or "Plenteous Pavilion"? Ideas?
Sol_Protege

Postby Vryl » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:59 pm

I like the Copious Coffers, personally.
Vryl

Postby Jake » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:28 pm

Sol_Protege wrote:So it works like a bribe for selfish heroes? That's really interesting, you could then also have the option to increase the amount of gold you place in the chest to attract even more greedy heroes (and minions). Could you also be able to put other types of resources like meat, to attract weary and wounded heroes? Or maybe mana to entice vulnerable spell casters away from the main group?

My current plan is that the type of chest is dependent upon the floor. This floor is loot-oriented, so you could expect a chest of gold ('ll theme each chest, so you can tell what resource they have at a glance). You'll buy the chest the same way you might buy a trap--it's just a purchase button, so you can't set an amount. Many hero types will have a bribe resource that they will take and run with; a thief might want loot, a warrior might want gear, a druid might seek growth, a barbarian may want meat, etc.

Now, I think rather than gifting these characters raw resources, the chest should always contain an item in that theme, so that if you manage to kill the escaping hero, you have a chance to recover a cool item. Perhaps we could make the chests "upgradable" by clicking the button multiple times, and each level of the chest increases the odds of a rarer drop; this would turn the chests into something of a slot machine. The disadvantage to this "defense" might be that characters who do escape will tell their friends, and you'll see an increase in that type of invader. I have not started on this mechanic, so this is all just something that I've been tossing around that might be relevant here.

Vryl wrote:I like the Copious Coffers, personally.

I like this, as well =). I double like it, because those are both words that I am unlikely to use elsewhere =D.
Jake
Site Admin

Postby Sol_Protege » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:32 pm

Vryl wrote:I like the Copious Coffers, personally.

This works nicely, caverns is a little too commonplace anyway
Sol_Protege

Re: Resource Floors

Postby ThirdAnguis » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:36 am

I've got another idea for a resource floor: the Arcane Athenaeum. It's a large library and storehouse of occult relics and long-forgotten knowledge which increases the amount of arcana that you can hold in addition to generating arcana (and possibly ruins) tiles. I don't see an overwhelming reason to lock this to either heretics or dark elves -- both have a use for it dark magics, after all!
ThirdAnguis

Postby Tola » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:49 am

Seems to me you're looking at two different rooms, here... keep the Coffers for beguiling dragons and heroes alike, but for mimics and traps (and still motivating heroes), consider the Survivor's Surplus. This seedy-looking sap claims that he was hired to do the loot hauling for a band of adventurers that wound up as smears. Until the dungeon master is defeated, it's too dangerous for him to leave-so he just hides from the monsters and offers aid to warriors who come by. Adventurers are such suckers for that kind of story...

Pay the fraudulent survivor a little money and he'll get a mimic riled and ready to attack those browsing his useless wares. Perhaps if the Dark Dwelling's been made the dark elves would help him learn how to make gear so fancy that the heroes will take a few fights to figure out they're badly made and inducing a damage debuff, while the Sinful Study's evil mages want to make Potions of Heroism (read as: stupid overconfidence) that'll knock one or two defense right off the fools who stop by to have a free potion. That kind of thing.
Tola

Next

Return to Spare Concepts