Resource Floor: Humongous Hoard

Have a spare idea for others to consider backing (or that you just think I should add)? This is the place for un-backed concepts.
Forum rules
I've created this subforum to help distinguish between concepts that have been backed and ones which are just open suggestions. This section is for unbacked concepts; backed concepts will receive more priority (after all, backers are paying me to work on them), but I still want to encourage people to post other ideas here!

If you have backed your idea (or plan to do so), it should be posted over here, instead =). If you like what you see here, consider backing it with an appropriate pledge!

Re: Resource Floor: Humongous Hoard

Postby Jake » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:18 am

What sort of "worksite" would do you propose for the athenaeum to produce arcana tiles? Internally, it's called a worksite, but we just need to decide what sort of characters "work" there, and what sort of "work" animation they employ.

If we have some foreground piles of artifacts, we could have some sort of sage/scholar/arcanist dig through them when the floor isn't busy, occasionally popping out a arcane or loot item. We should pick two categories, so these characters aren't producing too many matches on their own; I think loot is a reasonable fit, but we could maybe do gear, instead. We could probably get more creative with the type of character, though.

We can split up the Coffers and the mimic floor. The Survivor's Surplus sounds like a good option, but it is probably a little too elaborate for now (there's a lot of exposition there that we may want to convey to players). Perhaps if we had more floors that acted as stores for the heroes; I already have a couple of others on my big list (a Tomb of Tyrants historic site gift shop and an infernal lemonade stand), and I was planning to group these in with the eventual "checkpoint" type floors, where the characters will be compelled to linger a while. We'll see; it's definitely an interesting concept =).
Jake
Site Admin

Postby Vryl » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:05 am

Jake wrote:If we have some foreground piles of artifacts, we could have some sort of sage/scholar/arcanist dig through them when the floor isn't busy, occasionally popping out a arcane or loot item. We should pick two categories, so these characters aren't producing too many matches on their own; I think loot is a reasonable fit, but we could maybe do gear, instead. We could probably get more creative with the type of character, though.

That sounds more like an archaeologist's archive, to me! Maybe you could have the ark of the covenant in the background with a 'do not open' sign, and 'evil' adventurers wearing fedoras and leather jackets while whipping greedy people that try to come in and destroy precious antiquities in their search for loot. :P
Vryl

Postby Tola » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:17 am

I was figuring that the Surplus wouldn't have anything the heroes don't already, unless you activate one of the traps-but I admit it would be confusing to people if there isn't a list with short descriptions (and even if there is, how many of them will bother reading it?).

The archive might be good for ruins, since you're messing around with long-lost whatsits that mostly aren't of any real use if you aren't the type to use them to delve into past cultures. Athenaeum is, literally, 'a word used in the titles of libraries and places of literary study,' so the logical way to pull arcana out of it would be that arthritic, myopic old man with a star-studded robe (aka a wizard) shuffling from a bookshelf to a desk and studying intently.
Tola

Postby ThirdAnguis » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:55 pm

Jake wrote:What sort of "worksite" would do you propose for the athenaeum to produce arcana tiles? Internally, it's called a worksite, but we just need to decide what sort of characters "work" there, and what sort of "work" animation they employ.

I figured they'd be researching. Reading books from the library, examining artifacts, writing scrolls, that sort of thing.

Jake wrote:If we have some foreground piles of artifacts, we could have some sort of sage/scholar/arcanist dig through them when the floor isn't busy, occasionally popping out a arcane or loot item. We should pick two categories, so these characters aren't producing too many matches on their own; I think loot is a reasonable fit, but we could maybe do gear, instead. We could probably get more creative with the type of character, though.

My initial thought had been arcana and ruins, as I said. I don't really like the idea of gear or loot coming out of a library, it doesn't quite fit it thematically in my mind (though admittedly ruin is also a little bit of a stretch, but anything that isn't straight up magical like arcana is runs into that issue).

Vryl wrote:That sounds more like an archaeologist's archive, to me! Maybe you could have the ark of the covenant in the background with a 'do not open' sign, and 'evil' adventurers wearing fedoras and leather jackets while whipping greedy people that try to come in and destroy precious antiquities in their search for loot. :P

Ooh, I like the sound of that as a loot/ruins floor.
ThirdAnguis

Previous

Return to Spare Concepts