Aquatic-themed room?

Have a spare idea for others to consider backing (or that you just think I should add)? This is the place for un-backed concepts.
Forum rules
I've created this subforum to help distinguish between concepts that have been backed and ones which are just open suggestions. This section is for unbacked concepts; backed concepts will receive more priority (after all, backers are paying me to work on them), but I still want to encourage people to post other ideas here!

If you have backed your idea (or plan to do so), it should be posted over here, instead =). If you like what you see here, consider backing it with an appropriate pledge!

Aquatic-themed room?

Postby Haunter » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:25 am

So I realize this idea is a cliche, but see a room that goes under Aquarium or Fish-tank, or something of that variety.
Sharks, piranha, a giant squid? Anything is possible, the heroes could lose a little bit of health while in the room (not enough to stack water-room on top of water-room and "win" of course) to give the impression them holding their breath or something.

I'm open to having this idea bounced around of course! (especially seeing as there's not a whole lot to go on)
Haunter

Re: Aquatic-themed room?

Postby Jake » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:17 pm

(If this is for a backer reward, could you supply your Kickstarter username to me, for my notes? There's nothing permanent about any of this yet; it's just so I can keep a handle on things =))

If we are okay with heroes walking on the floor underwater, then this should be doable; swimming animations for all characters would be a lot of extra work to support just for one or two floors. I think a flooded chamber, where the characters' heads are above the water level would work really well, but I think we can also do a fully submerged floor like this, even if it maybe doesn't make the most sense.

What we could do breath-wise is have characters take a heart of damage when they take fatigue, so if they make it all the way through a floor without being engaged, the heroes won't suffer any drowning damage. This could be a little too damaging; it'd be less effective against parties, for the same reasons the fatigue system benefits groups. Perhaps we can gift non-aquatic characters temporary bonus health in the form of some bubbles on their health meter, allowing both drowning and damage to knock them down, then the drowning would continue to eat directly at health. Aquatic characters would be immune to the drowning effect, which means they would be at a slight initial disadvantage against non-aquatic ones (who get the bonus hit points), but things would level out pretty quickly, I think.. Non-aquatic minions would avoid patrolling or visiting these floors; some other examples of aquatic minions could be troglodytes, deep ones, were-sharks or crocs?--we could definitely throw in some fun things down the line.

This floor seems like it should produce something purely aquatic, that has no business leaving the floor; after all, we aren't likely to have another entirely submerged floor, so we should make the most of it. I try to limit most floors to just one or two minions, where the second is usually an extension of the first one, but here, I think we can do two different minions straight-up, because they are a little limited--they can't leave this floor, and most other reinforcements can't back them up. I think the piranhas are a decent option, but I feel like the shark and squid would offer better bridges toward other floor unlocks (were-sharks? some squidy Lovecraftian love?).

Any particular underwater scenery in mind? We might want to theme it around the creatures we settle on (or vice-versa).
Jake
Site Admin

Postby Vryl » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:04 pm

Sharks! With lasers! :P
Vryl

Postby Jake » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:06 pm

Vryl wrote:Sharks! With lasers! :P

Sounds like an excellent champion concept =D!
Jake
Site Admin

Postby Haunter » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:59 pm

Ah, my name is Hunter Samford (also the dude from the website if that helps)
Although I didn't back at the $60 range and I just put this in the wrong tab (should've been something more or less under suggestions rather than a full backed idea)
Feel free to delete or move if this violates anything!

(that rather embarrassing disclaimer out of the way...)I think the idea with the heads being above water would be awesome, it would make the most sense with the animations. Not also counting out the full submerged room idea (I think most gamers would be willing to overlook even if they did notice). I think giant squids, sharks even something like Jellyfish (which would slow the heroes considerably but not necessarily cause much damage).

Last bumped by Anonymous on Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:59 pm.
Haunter

Return to Spare Concepts