Resource Conversion Items

Have a spare idea for others to consider backing (or that you just think I should add)? This is the place for un-backed concepts.
Forum rules
I've created this subforum to help distinguish between concepts that have been backed and ones which are just open suggestions. This section is for unbacked concepts; backed concepts will receive more priority (after all, backers are paying me to work on them), but I still want to encourage people to post other ideas here!

If you have backed your idea (or plan to do so), it should be posted over here, instead =). If you like what you see here, consider backing it with an appropriate pledge!

Resource Conversion Items

Postby ThirdAnguis » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:38 pm

Sometimes you really, /really/ need a specific kind of block to fall into the hoard and it just doesn't come. I've run into that issue a bunch of times myself -- go down the bandit/mercenary path and you'll always be wanting for loot to replace them! What if there was a way to convert a chunk of your hoard to a specific resource? Perhaps have it like the bomb, where when you stick it into the hoard it affects the blocks immediately around it on the spot (though with less range than the bomb, of course, to balance the advantage of conversion rather than destruction). Think of it as being Hand of Midas-esque, where whatever it touches turns to gold.
ThirdAnguis

Re: Resource Conversion Items

Postby Jake » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:29 pm

When I revealed the spore bomb in one of the pre-alpha updates, I said it would do this (for growth, obviously), but it still hasn't been set up to do it. I intend to make it convert the region that you drop it on (that is, the tile under it and all matching tiles connected to it), which doesn't seem quite as valuable as the spore's other use, but we could test out some ranges. Maybe it should work more like the bomb, as you propose, with the smaller range? Or maybe it could convert all of the target resource type into growth, and not just the region it lands on?

In a similar vein, I'm planning some items that simply collect all of a specific resource when used, like a magnet that collects all scrap from the hoard. I'm going to try to work some more items in this coming week, so if you have any other areas where you'd like to see some new stuff, suggest away!

Midas's Mitt? Manos?
Jake
Site Admin

Return to Spare Concepts